Saturday, June 28, 2008

Windshield Cracks

I just bought a new car. 2007 Ford Fusion. Get's great gas mileage, looks cool and works. It has a little chip in the windshield that I noticed right after I bought it. It wasn't any bigger than a smashed mosquito(best comparison for this season where they are reeking havoc outside). I had heard from a good friend of mine that those little do it yourself windshield crack fillers work well to stop the crack from expanding. I'm like... can't hurt, I'll give it a try. The first step is to stick this sticker "seal" over top of where the chip is. Step two is then to press on this little attachment apparatus that acts as a guide for the resin and creates then a pressure chamber for the resin to sink into the chip. Step two is what turned a simple fix into now needing a new windshield. I ever so lightly pressed this attachment onto the sticker, and in doing so, the chip turned instantly into a 5 inch crack that pointed now towards the middle of my windshield.
This morning when I got into my car, the crack had expanded to now two feet and is growing arms.
The thing that bugs me about windshield cracks is that whether it is a nice car or not, the crack is the first thing that people notice. The first thing that people think, or at least I do when I see one, is "gosh, they must not care about their car..." I don't know what it is about windshield cracks but it's more or less like having a bumpersticker on your car saying "look at me, i'm clumsy."
You could be driving a rolls royce and have a crack in your windshield and the first thing people will think is, hmm... wonder what happened... he fall asleep at the wheel, parked it too close to a playground... let his kid drive, what?
It's funny that a crack in the windshield portrays clumsyness when that injury is the most unavoidable thing. Cause you could be minding your own busniness and the tiniest little stone flings up and hits it and you're like... AHHH... crap... serious!!! serious!! People are going to think i'm an idiot!!
Well... I do feel like an idiot buying this brand new car and now having a crack traveling across the whole thing. I'll be ok... I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment