Sunday, June 13, 2010

10 random thoughts after a year of marriage




It's about 12:24am and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. I was at a wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner tonight and got to thinking about marriage. I am just over 2 weeks away from my 1 year anniversary of being with my amazing bride. So far, here are some random thoughts after my first year of marriage:

In no particular order:

1.) I am a selfish human being that is slowly but surly getting better.
2.) I am a spoiled man. If any of you know my wife, enough said.
3.) A Christ-centered marriage is worth the work.
4.) There is now new meaning and worth to the imagery of Christ being the bridegroom of the church.
5.) Money stresses me out, but God always provides.
6.) God's word is buying more and more real estate on my time.
7.) My wife's forgiveness gives new worth to Christ's forgiveness in my life.
8.) My wife and I are a team, and other couples are our competition.
9.) The clothes hamper is more of a target than a destination.
10.) I am so glad that we don't have a "gaming" system connected to our tv.

There you have it! 10 quick thoughts on my first year of marriage. All in all, if Jesus is not the hero of my marriage, I, as the spiritual leader, am failing. I'm praying that God continues to give me the grace and wisdom to keep Jesus in the forefront of my walk, as well as my wife's.

What are your 10 random thoughts so far in your marriage or wherever you're at in life?

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be well beyond where most couples are in their marriage adventure. Great musings!
    A couple thoughts from people who have experienced almost 30 blessed years of marriage..
    1) Friendships have less to do with who you know than how well you know them
    2) It is an amazing and miraculous experience the way love grows and matures with every passing year
    3) A friend in need is truly a treasure, and a friend in need is an opportunity.
    4) It is a blessing not to take yourselves so seriously and be able to laugh at yourselves
    5) Intimacy in relationship equals the quality AND quantity of time you spend with each other
    6) The greatest satisfaction and comfort a parent can experience is having their children choose strong Christian mates.
    7) A great joy of family is where sibling spouses become family, NOT inlaws.
    8) Working together is a bonding experience.
    9) One of the most damaging relationship hurdles is bashing your spouse in front of others. Respecting your spouse protects each other.
    10) It is a heart exploding, humbling experience to be the recipient of someone bragging on you.. mostly if it's your spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading my above comments, I realize that I have not given the credit where credit it due. Truly, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has been the greatest blessing of our marriage. To experience growing spiritually with another person and relying on God to be the solution to every issue, problem, or quandary cements a relationship in miraculous ways. The gift of prayer results in lives changed. That should have been #1 in our list. "my bad".. :)

    ReplyDelete