Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm on God's Team... Faith

There's a lot to learn from a guy like David in the Bible.  A lot of "do em's" as well as a list of "don't do em's" One thing I really appreciate and learn from David is his consistent inquiring of the Lord. If there is one thing he got totally right, it was "what does God want me to do?' 
Take 1 Chronicles 14 for example. David became king and the Philistines didn't like it. They came up against David, and in knowing about this he went out and prepared for battle, BUT... before he engaged in battle vs 10 "David inquired of God, "Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?"
Just two chapters earlier we learned about the amazing "mighty men" that God gave to David, and the capability that David had in man power to make any threat look small. It is interesting that when the guy is dealt pocket Aces with his army, he chooses to ask what to do before going "all in." One word: Humility.  A great leader always is humble. The Bible says that the Lord gives grace to the humble but resists the proud (James 4:6). Even though David by all earthly standards was set and ready to go to kick some Philistine butt, he took the time to say, "wait a min, I want the Lord's approval first..."
The Lord responds favorably and says that he will deliver them into David's hands. Notice who the glory goes to: vs 11 "And David said, "God has broken through my enemies by my hand, like a bursting flood..." "
David's amazing army didn't fight these battles. Yes, maybe in the flesh they did, but the battle is always the Lord's. David recognized this, and it was always to his favor when he did.
So that battle is won right? So the Philistines come up AGAIN and raid against David! Sorry to say, that if I were David I'd probably think, "Ditto, here comes round two, say goodbye to the Philistines!" David could have just assumed that the first "blessing" of the Lord would have applied to this battle, BUT.  David inquires of the Lord AGAIN to make sure! Humility. And a good thing that he did.  The Lord had a different answer for him this time. vs 14-15 "You shall not go up after them; go around and come against them opposite the balsam trees.  And when you hear the sound of marching in the tops ot the balsam trees, then go out to battle, for God has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines.""
When I read passages like this I try to imagine them as if I were in the situation and how the Lord would speak in modern terms that I'd understand the best.  Not that this passage is unclear at all in its original form, but this is how I'd imagine the Lord saying this: "Ok David, here's what we're going to do, I got a perfect plan for this, that will wipe them out for good. You go around the back, and when you hear my army above your heads, then go and enjoy the show... they won't stand a chance." 

When you are in good communication with the Lord, inquiring of Him in all circumstances, running everything by Him, you become a team. In other words, you're on God's team then and by the way, he doesn't lose. David knew this. It takes humility to know this. It takes FAITH to know this.


Wait, David was in the Old Testament, he didn't have a faith in Jesus, how can this be!?
Would you be surprised to find out that Jesus was around in the Old Testament?  He was! He is! He is to come! I remember this understanding being a shocker for me when I was in Bible School.  If you would have asked me, "how is an old testament person saved?" I would have been like... "uhh... hmm... well.. I never thought of that... the sacrifices maybe?" It was amazing when through my thick scull the truth of Christ being eternal hit my brain. People in the Old Testament were saved by Grace through Faith in Christ, just like people post-Christ on earth. Christ may not have been on earth yet at that point, but John 1:1, In the beginning was the  Word and the Was God and the Word was with God.  The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us! David, as well as other OT hero's of faith in Hebrews 11, had FAITH because they believed the Word of God (Christ) and it was counted to them as Righteousness. Read Ps 119 as David's "faith" in God's word!  When you combine Humility and Faith you really are saying, "I Believe in the Word of God and I'm going to allow Him to make the calls."

Are you sitting there thinking, "I need to be on God's team... cause I just can't take the battle I'm in right now..." Go back to the root of the issue.  Are you relying solely on Christ as your savior? Christ saved you from death, but guess what, he can also can help you fight day to day trials. Does it mean you will eventually not have trials? NO!! It means, when trials come for no apparent reason other than the devil hating the team that you're on, Christ is there to fight the battle for you, with you! Start inquiring more of the Lord just like David! Start listening for the guidance of the team captain (it's easy, read the Bible!! ;-)) Show the enemy that you are on the winning team that has never ONCE failed.  When we, together, make it very aware in our lives that we know who is boss, the Lord's name is raised and our problems and trails turn into things that the Lord is like, "hey, don't worry bout it.  Go over there, wait till you hear my army come in and clean house, then come out and fight a battle that is already won!"
Praise the Lord Jesus Christ for allowing us to be on His team!

No comments:

Post a Comment