Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If I were to persuade you to read the book of Titus...

Here is what I'd say:

I'm prone to desire simplicity. It is a proven fact that the simplest of machines are hard to break. It's those darn Toyotas that combine machine and computer to an unhealthy degree that makes an idea of simplicity seems less plausible than a talking hamster.

All that aside, I like it when someone lays an important truth out to me in a way that doesn't make my head explode with 9 logical proofs, doesn't make my brain hurt with apologetical complexity, and doesn't leave me feeling like mouse in a maze searching for that piece of cheese. It is the simplicity and bluntness of a person that draws me to one, understanding them, two, believing what they have to say, and three, acting upon that belief.

I read the book of Titus today simply because I flipped through and thought, "I haven't read that in so long, I can't even remember what it's about!" I tell you what, I was blessed today in the reading of God's Word. Shouldn't surprise anyone by now that God's Word is a blessing in whatever section you're in.

I'd like to know what kind of person Titus was. Somehow, based on the shortness, and conciseness of the book, I feel like I might relate to the guy. No, Titus didn't write it, but you can tell Paul knew that he was writing to a guy who just liked the plain truth in its most blunt form.
Take for example Titus chapter 3. Paul practically summarizes the entire book of Romans in that one chapter! I mean reading Titus 3 almost felt to my soul what my stomach felt like after this past year's Thanksgiving dinner!

Titus seems like a guy that Paul knows doesn't need any fluff, or logical filler. He seems like a simple man with a lot of faith that wants to continue to grow deeper, not asking, "now wait a minute, why?" It's the fact that his faith is so much that a question like "why?" doesn't even bother to creep in. Perhaps he did write back in a letter that we obviously know that God didn't inspire, and asked why, but my point is this, it would seem by the way that Paul wrote this letter to Titus that he was preaching to the choir and now just giving them more to sing about.

It seems as if Titus asked Paul in a prior letter. "OK Pauly, A few questions for you: What makes a good Elder? How do I preach better? What should I preach? What would you tell the people I'm preaching to if you were here? and oh, by the way, can you keep it to 500 words or less, I'm still using dial up internet."

All kidding aside, that would be a similar conversation that I could see having with my father, who I trust enough to just get answers from without explanations. I think Paul eludes to a similar "father-son" relationship to Titus in verse 4 of chapter 1: "To Titus, my true child in a common faith.."

The simplicity of this book points so clear to the simplicity of the Gospel and it's application to us:
Simple logic, like a simple machine, If A then B 
IF Titus 3:4-7~We have faith in Jesus Christ who saves us by His grace (A) THEN Titus 3:8~our lives are characterized by good works (B). 

Paul's letter to Titus is only 3 chapters long.  I challenge you to read it today in one sitting and be blessed like I have been by it. Let me know what you think; what stood out in the book of Titus to you?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Buddy...I think I'll take you up on that suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. I am a friend of Kristen's and I found your blog through hers.

    I think Paul sums up the whole letter in verse one. We are chosen by God to receive the truth which results in righteous living... Paul then goes on to show what that right living looks like in those who make up the church...

    It's pretty simple and straight forward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's interesting to me Kathy how the world and "religion" tries to cloud the simplicity of the Gospel. Denominations all claim different application to the same simple message of the Gospel. The scary part about that is when what should be the response is viewed as the prerequisite to salvation. For example, In response to my saving faith in Jesus Christ, I was baptized as a believer and publicly professed my faith in Christ. I was sitting in a Lutheran church the other day for a wedding and saw in their bulletin an advertisement regarding baptism. "We wish for all to have salvation, both members and non-members, please register to be baptized today!"
    Not all Lutheran churches, I'm sure, are to that extreme, but this one was, and its sad to think how many got baptized in that church who believe they are saved just because they got baptized.
    Our response and application of the Gospel is just that, RESPONDING to a genuine and true faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior.

    ReplyDelete