Monday, April 26, 2010

Refuel

I woke up early this morning and went to school with my wife, who teaches. It is convenient for me, because she teaches at the school inside our church (see the My Church link above). Anyways, I do this occasionally to wake up early on my day off, instead of sleeping in, to spend some needed refreshment and extended time with the Lord.
I do this in a few ways: 1.) dive into God's Word 2.) Go into the worship center and jam out on the drums to some of my favorite worship/gospel music 3.)workout in the health facility here at church, praying and listening to the Lord while I work off the lbs.
One reason why I like to do these early mornings occasionally is to get a fresh lick of paint on my walk with the Lord. It really helps to separate yourself from the norm and just "hang out" with the Lord. When you are tired or feeling stale, "PULL OVER" (as my pastor says) and rest in the Lord. It is OK, in the middle of a busy period and hectic time, to STOP and refuel in God's word and in His presence in worship.
Ps 62:5-8
"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us."

When God is our refuge, "pulling over" to refuel is not like going to a 7Eleven, It is so much more than that. It is like connecting a fire hose of the Holy Spirit to our Souls and pumping us full of Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-control!

I admit, when I feel worn out, sometimes I'm more quick to turn to a nice cup of coffee before I pick up God's word. In the long run, that cup of coffee contributes more to hypertension than it does to giving peace. I NEED more time with the Lord, always. Why? Because the more I get to know Jesus, the more I find out how much I NEED him and his salvation. The more time I spend with Jesus, the more I realize how much time I wasted on things of this world. The more I worship Jesus, the less I worry about how long I'll live in the flesh and more about living in the spirit for eternity.
All this to say, we need more pit-stops with Christ in our journey on this earth. We need to seek every opportunity to do this. After all, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" ~Ps 119:105 Without God's word, we would be wandering aimlessly through this world.

5 comments:

  1. Chris, great words. Thanks!

    Random not-so-serious thoughts:

    "Fresh lick of paint?" I sense you're channeling a certain friend from across the pond.

    "Work off the lbs.?!" Dude, a good stiff breeze would carry you to the next county.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! yes.. i am referring to my friend from "across the pond"
    and I like the adventure of walking during a windy day ;-)

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    We met briefly one fine summer day at a cottage in Michigan last August. You had come to borrow the internet connection for a spell if I remember right. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better soon! I liked your whole post...but one line stood out to me and really made me stop and think.

    "The more I worship Jesus, the less I worry about how long I'll live in the flesh and more about living in the spirit for eternity."

    The more I worship Jesus, the less I worry about/think about/dwell on/spend time on and get entangled in my sin and my self. When my eyes are on the Jesus and my mind set on the things above and not on the things of this earth, the more I live in the spirit and by the spirit. And that's an awesome place to be.
    All's grace,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi My name is Chris Mulford and I change my blog up all the time!


    love cal... you will have to teach my how to use those cool backgrounds when we are up in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. done... i'll give you a hint: google blogger templates and follow directions on the top hit.

    Mulford

    ReplyDelete