Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Tebowing" doen't make Tebow a Christian

I was in my bowling league last night (please take this moment to laugh and then read on), and the guys on my team know that I'm a pastor and often times they'll do things that they think will "please" me because I'm a "man of the cloth," as they say. I like bowling, but the reason why I joined this league was not to boost my average, but to live on mission and join a random group and show them the love of Jesus. I've had some great conversations around the table between frames with these guys. I'm not trying to force feed the bible down their throats, but more so hoping that they see that a true Christian can actually be a fun and cool guy.
In our culture, the "bible bubble," or "bible belt" as West Michigan has been called, has really perfected the art of polarization of so-called "believers" with the so-called "pagans."  Kids often grow up with the false notion that it is sinful to be in the presence of non-christians.  So we put our kids through Christian schools, we put them in Christian daycares, we have them make a list of their "approved" Christian friends that they are allowed to hang out with, and in all good intentions think we are growing our kids to be "good" Christians. The truth is, all of those things, though very good, don't make anyone or any kid a "Christian" any more than the act of "Tebowing" makes Tebow a Christian.
My teammate last night decided that after he got a strike that he would "Tebow."  And he did, and everyone looked at him, and he looked at me with the face of, "yea! you like that right?! right?! that's cool for you right? You want me to do this cause your a pastor right!?"  He genuinely wasn't trying to make fun of me, but in sincerity was trying to "please" me with his "christianeze" gesture.  When actually, he was just making a fool out of himself.
Let me pause and say this, I am a big Tebow fan. I have nothing wrong with the guy, and I very much appreciate that he "Tebows" still to this day and probably for his career. Why? Because he IS a Christian. I know that not because he "Tebows" but because his testimony is lifting high the name of Jesus and when given platform at press conferences, he uses that opportunity to glorify God and thank Jesus for taking his place on the cross.  Tebow is a Christian because he believes the Gospel, and as an outpouring of his heart and love of Jesus, he "Tebows."
The bible talks about "white washed tombs" (Matt 23:27) as those Pharisaical people who have made everything on the outward of their lives look perfect and "christian" yet are just fresh paint on a dead body. You aren't Christian because you are a good person or do "Christian" things, you are a Christian if you believe that Jesus died in your place because of your sin!
So in my bowling league, I'm hoping to show these guys that I'm not a whitewashed tomb, but rather that I'm a new creation because of what Jesus has done in his sacrifice for my sin. That I'm a broken man in the process of eternal healing through Christ's sanctification. That I'm NOT perfect, but forgiven.  I'm growing some good relationships with these guys and what used to be entire nights without one mention of God's word has now turned into at least one maybe two different conversations about what the one guy's female pastor talked about and where she found that in the bible (as an example) or the other guy, last night, who was talking about how he really liked Revelation, and actually KNEW that it correlated with the book of Daniel! Who knew!? The guys I bowl with have the appearance of religion but I pray that the gospel would impact their hearts in a powerful way, it if hasn't already.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you bro. That God would draw these men to come to the saving faith and knowledge of his Son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will totally be praying for you man... if I have learned just one thing from my surgeries and my chances and then moving all the way out here to Saudi is that Nothing is impossible for God!(Luke 1:37)(Philip 4:!3) Your story reminds me about the passage about sowing seeds and the God controls what happens!!! Thanks for the post it is uplifting. :)

    Nathan M.

    P.S. miss you bro!

    ReplyDelete