Monday, November 3, 2008

Absent Voter Ballot


So, I did my part. But apparently too early. I applied for my absent voter's ballot about a month and a half ago. It is now the day before the election, and I JUST NOW received it, but only after calling them last week thinking, "Gee, I haven't gotten that thing yet..." Turns out that the Crockery Township Clerk had it stuck "between two other letters" and sent it out ASAP conveniently the same day I called. I'm a little skeptical on this, but want to give credit to them for actually getting it. She assured me that as long as it's postmarked for Tuesday Nov 3, 2008 it will be OK. So when I received the ballot in the mail and read the directions on the back, I noticed the last step which said: "Step 6: The ballot much reach the clerk or an authorized assistant of the clerk before the close of the polls on election day. An absent voter ballot received by the clerk or assistant of the clerk after the close of the polls on election day will not be counted."
So apparently, in accordance to Michigan Law, my vote will not count unless I hand deliver it to this clerk by tomorrow. So, in effort to be a good devoted citizen, I've decided to make a road trip out of it. I'll drive back tonight (election day eve) and hand deliver it to the clerk tomorrow. It will give me an opportunity to be proud of my right to vote and prove to that clerk, who lied to me, that my vote is something I WANT to be counted, whether it will help who I voted for or not. I will NOT stand to have my vote not counted because of the petty mistakes of those who had the very hard job of stamping the envelope with my tax paid stamp on it to send it to me to do it the way that would have been easiest.
Bitter? No... just sticking it to the man. ;-) Truth is, anytime something happens which merits my going home to spend time with my folks and old friends is something that I welcome anytime.
PS: the picture is of my fiance' and I on a roadtrip to Michigan, one of our favorite things to do. Unfortunately, she is unable to go on this one :-( sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment