Thursday, October 27, 2011

Church Growth Strategy

Have you ever had a time with the Lord in His word where you're like, "I know I've read this book before, but THIS verse, I don't ever remember reading this! This is GOLD!" 
I had that very thing happen to me today while reading and underlining through the book of Acts. I got to Acts 9, which is the conversion of Saul and about 3/4 of the way through is verse 31:

"So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up.  And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied." 

This is how I've learned the Lord works! He gives you nuggets of gold here and there, as if to specifically encourage or challenge you in response to your concern or prayers of late.  Lately, I've been troubling myself and worrying about how or what we can do as a church to grow and not get stale or stagnant.  I feel often like we have planted in a desert and soon our water is going to run dry.  How foolish was I to think that the end result of growth of our church was all of my or our leadership's doing? I knew that at a surface level, sure, but deep down, I've been convicted of trying to be in control of our growth, to "keep the momentum" going, to do everything I can to make sure people are walking through the doors.  

So I have my time with the Lord this morning and read Acts 9:31 and realize in the most loving way that the Lord is saying, "doofus, chill. Rest in me and grow your fear and find comfort in the Holy Spirit." Is there a role that I can play in the growth of our church? Yes, but it's in cultivating my fear of the Lord and comfort in the Holy Spirit and relying on the Lord to multiply; not fancy lighting, not catchy logos or series titles, and yes, not even billboards.  All of those things are ways we ultimately respond to our growing fear of the Lord and comfort in the Holy Spirit who challenges us in our MISSION. Those things in themselves, when not motivated by a fear of the Lord and the gospel mission, are just that: things.  

The early church was growing and "multiplying" greatly because of their walking in the fear of the Lord. Proverbs 1:7  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..." 
Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!"

So, I have been challenged. I have been convicted. I have been empowered now to find my comfort in the Holy Spirit and see our church grow and seek to cultivate in our people to "walk in the fear of the Lord."
So... How's that going for you? I'm a work in progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment