Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Is the term "over-churched" a good or bad thing?

Have you ever considered the idea about a place that is "over-churched" being a mission field? Does it ever scare you to think about the people who "grew up" "Christian" having more head knowledge about theology and the Westminster Catechism than most Christians world wide? Why would it scare you? These people got the point and are doing well! right?
Why did Paul write letters to the CHURCHES of the various places he wrote? And why did he emphasis the gospel to people who already knew it?
The line between religion and relationship is too thin where it doesn't matter how "churched" an area is, the message is and will always be the same: "Do you know Jesus Christ ---> Here's how. then: You know Christ? Now what? Where's the fruit?"
Let me make this statement: The high amount of churches in a particular area doesn't necessarily mean that that area is filled with fruit bearing Christ followers. Don't get me wrong, I don't say this in a negative way to bash affluent and "american dream" towns in our nation. I say this to proclaim the truth that the Gospel is not a religion it is a relationship. And could it be possible for the enemy to use the facade of "an abundance of churches" to prevent missionaries from going into a mission field?
Let me explain by starting into a whole different side of the coin:

You know what I'm fired up about? African Missionaries coming to the STATES to bring the gospel to a lost people!! Praise God! People who actually have tasted the life giving provision of the Lord. People who have experienced full reliability in Jesus Christ because of a poverty status. People who truly emit a bright light of Joy incomparable to anything else and only from a wealth of Holy Spirit influence. It is the message that people like them bring that makes the Gospel a life changing relationship in someone's life and not a legalistic rulebook for living.
Can an area be over-churched? Yes. Is the Gospel needed there? YES. Fruit (spiritual) is the result of a true relationship with Christ and we need more Gospel and less cerebral head knowledge. Because, at the end of the day, if someone knows everything there is to know about Jesus Christ and his death on the cross and even the theology of salvation, but is UNAFFECTED and fruitless in his/her life, it is no different than the man who works for Ford Motor company and designs Ford cars and Promotes Ford cars, but drives a Toyota.
One of the largest and hardest mission fields in America right now is the fruitless over-churched. How can we reach them?

You reach the fruitless over-churched the same way you reach anybody else: bring them to the cross. 1 Cor 15: 3-4 "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures..." I am saved because I KNOW this Jesus personally and not because I may have a good to basic knowledge regarding Theology, even though that is useful. I am not saved because I go to church regularly or because I was baptized. I don't do all seven of the sacraments of the Catholic church, yet Christ calls me His own.
And here's the thing: Only because Jesus changes lives people bear genuine fruit (Gal 5) and walk by the Spirit.
Many over-churched people need a reminder or a challenge, or maybe a first time conviction to see if the head knowledge matches up with the life they live. We as Christians and regular church-goers, should EVERYDAY keep in the back of our heads: Am I walking by the Spirit? Or am I walking by the deeds of the flesh? And seek the Holy Spirit constantly and utilize the full potential of His power and not quench Him. Only then does it make church meaningful, only then does it tear down the walls of religion and build up a spirit filled storehouse of Joy and allow HIM to bear fruit in us!

This is something to think about, especially in "christian" America.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post, Chris. I completely agree. I live in an over-churched area and see the fruits of complacency daily. But there is a shift happening up here. I used to be able to have "church talk" at the check out line at the grocery store and have a warm response given back to me. Lately, as I mention "the Lord" or "God" I have only received cold stares and complete lack of interest. That is very strange for up here. A definite shift...

    Hey, I heard you were whining that you have no "followers" - but I think you have to add that gadget in order to get them...make sense? Or did I just miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! that's cause i put it up after you told me about it!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good stuff bro, did you write this before or after your visit to WMC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you through Kristen's blog and just wanted to say it is refreshing to see young people standing up for God. The Bible tells us God's word will not come back void but plant seeds and become fruitful. The world is changing but we must stand firm and be set apart. Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete