Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Forever Reminders

Are there some things in your life that you constantly are reminded and will be forever of either an event that occurred or a truth about something? Let me clear that up with an example. Most people, when they want to rebel or make a statement, will get a tattoo. I decided not to do the tattoo thing, but go a step further and get branded. I got a cross branded over my heart on my chest. Hurt? Yes. Worth it? I think so. Reversible? No. That brand will be on my chest forever and every time I look at it, I'll be reminded of why I got it. To make a statement of my salvation and not rebellion.

I want to jump back into the story of Noah to point to a "forever reminder" that the Lord made with Noah. This reminder is something that we now take for granted and even defile in our world today: The rainbow. Why is the rainbow the symbol for homosexuality? Why would something, which we will see as a sign of God's covenant, defiled in such a way? Why is the rainbow associated with leprechauns? The rainbow, seen in a simple, harmless, majestic, and somewhat weak connotation is anything but that.

In Genesis 9, the rainbow was God's forever reminder, otherwise known as a covenant, that He would never destroy all mankind again with a flood. The rainbow is a sign of peace really. It is not just a scientific wonder, but a faithful reminder of God's love and patience with mankind forever!

9:12-17 "And God said, "this is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it an remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.""

If you are ever in a place where you're wondering how God is present and faithful even in an evil and awful world, look up after the storm and see the rainbow. We are so blessed by the seeing of a rainbow because God is keeping his covenant. There are other covenants that the Lord made with different kings and people in the Bible, but this one, alongside of the Abrahamic covenant (descendants being like the sand of the seashore), is the most evident even today! Let us hold fast to our devotion to a faithful God!

~Moellerd

No comments:

Post a Comment